My Favorite Things Monday! 4-18-2016


Welcome Back to another "My Favorite Things" Monday! 
Once again, queue the Julie Andrew's music! 



I really wasn't sure what I should talk about today. At the moment I have coffee and books on my mind. . 
Yesterday, while visiting my Mom in PA, I was able to finish a novel that I've been reading for . . quite a bit. And when I say quite a bit, I mean months. Months and months. I was actually trying to read this book back last summer - that's how "quite a bit" it's been. 

As you learned last Monday, I'm a huge fan of Disney. If you missed that, you can find that post HERE. 
Another way of enjoying fairy tales (if not through Disney) is books. Books have always been an escape for me, and thus - why I enjoy writing them so much as well. There is something about being able to be so absorbed in a world, with characters whom you feel so connected to - and facing their trials and tribulations. 
I have spent a majority of my teenage years reading and re-reading fairy tale retellings. 

I can remember when I first discovered Robin McKinley's "Beauty" and "Rose Daughter."


 
 Needless to say there is a reason why in the yearbook, on a page number it reads "200(something): Number of books Chantal Gadoury has checked out from the library." - Yeah, and then some, LOL  

I loved books like "East" by Edith Patou -- and I talk about these books a lot because of their influence. "Zel" and "Spinners" by Donna Jo Napoli where among those books.. 

 


Alright, Alright - before I get ahead of myself and start talking about all of my other influential and favorite books - Like R.L Stine and my love affair with his Fear Street Sagas (hey, there's another Favorite Monday I can have!) - I'm going to get down to talking about "A Court of Thorns and Roses" by Sarah Maas 

(You can go HERE to Order on Amazon)

Let me just start by saying that even if you think you wouldn't enjoy a faerie book, give this one a chance. I, myself have turned away numerous of novels at the book store because of the mention of faeries. I suppose I always think of them as these small, strange looking creatures who are just evil, and are around to terrorize.. I guess in a way, in that sense, there's really no difference between them and vampires, but - all in the same, I really just disliked the mention of the faerie genre. That's why, one day as I was on Goodreads, looking up Fairy Tale Retellings - I came across this novel.. and I was pleasantly surprised by all the "MUST READ" reviews. The mention of "Beauty and the Beast" sold me - quite honestly. 

If I remember right, I went to the store right away, or waited until that weekend that I went home in PA - to where there are actual bookstores. (WHAT THE HECK, DELAWARE. NO BOOK STORES??? Yes. You read that right. NO BOOK STORES)

I found it hard to read because of my busy schedule. At the time, my sister was facing Prom and Graduation, so I was travelling a lot between DE and PA within just those two months of May and June. I was trying to write and finish "Allerleirauh," and I gave in to downloading the audio book, which I have to add how amazing that is too! Jennifer Ikeda has a great reading voice and she just. . really makes you fall right into the story. So with that said, from months from 2015 to just yesterday - I finally finished this novel with the help of the Audiobook! 


 When nineteen-year-old huntress Feyre kills a wolf in the woods, a beast-like creature arrives to demand retribution for it. Dragged to a treacherous magical land she only knows about from legends, Feyre discovers that her captor is not an animal, but Tamlin--one of the lethal, immortal faeries who once ruled their world.
As she dwells on his estate, her feelings for Tamlin transform from icy hostility into a fiery passion that burns through every lie and warning she's been told about the beautiful, dangerous world of the Fae. But an ancient, wicked shadow over the faerie lands is growing, and Feyre must find a way to stop it . . . or doom Tamlin--and his world--forever.


(Other than the fact that this "faerie has black hair, this would be a good summary of most of the interactions that Feyre faces with most (not all) men-faeries in this story) 
The interactions in this novel between the main character, Feyre and the High Lord of the Spring Court, Tamlin are fantastically amazing. They're strung up with sexual desire and love -


There is something that goes beyond just the love of a heart between the two of them - it is something that is soul connected. The journey Feyre endures at the hands of saving Tamblin and his people is something quite hard to read - things get quite bloody and nail-biting! There were plenty of times that I was awake at 1:30am trying to see what was going to happen! And by the time I finished, I felt sad - I needed to go right back to the beginning and be with Feyre and Tamblin again. (And even then, things weren't the same. I wanted more of who they were by the end of the book, rather than the beginning.)

There are little clever references to other fairy tales - you just have to pay attention. There's a bit of "East of the Sun, West of the Moon" - "Cinderella" (with the lentils) - and there are some really strange "rituals" that occur in the book as well - but heck, you'll wish there were more - and that's ALL I can say ;)

SPOILER: (The only part I didn't like was at the end, when Feyre is transformed from human to Faerie because of what an evil Faerie does to her. I kept thinking of Bella from "Breaking Dawn" and lost my visual of Feyre. Did she still look the same? Does she now have pointy ears? I just didn't like that element - I wanted her to be Human Feyre. (But then again, how will she live forever without transforming into something other than Human.) 


Anyway. . . . This truly has become my newest, favorite novel - and the countdown to May 3rd (when the sequel will be released) is on!


I wish I could describe the feelings that "A Court of Thorns and Roses" has made me feel, but I know I'd never do those emotions justice. In finding characters who passionately love each other, who go to the ends of the earth to save each other - who are kind and loving - and learn/accept each other's faults and still continue to compliment one another. (I'm starting to sounds like they're real - but I mean, that's what a good novel is supposed to do - make you believe they are!) 



This is a novel I hope everyone experiences - If you haven't read it, do it. 

"A Court of Mist and Fury" will be out May 3rd 2016! Order Here On Amazon

Thanks for joining me on this "My Favorite Things" Monday! I'll see you all next week! 














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

December 2017 Update

If My Characters in "Allerleirauh" were Lipcolors